Sewer relining rather than replacement?
Posted by dji on May 24, 2004 at 15:02:24:
Hi folks, I hope someone here has the experience to give me some advice.

I live in an 87-year-old house whose sewer line is probably the same age. I wasn't smart enough when I bought the house to have the line camera-ed, find the problems, and subtract the cost of the replacement from the house price :-(

Long story short: the sewer line is in really bad shape (it's clay), and I have constant trouble with roots from the trees that live right above it. To dig and replace will be expensive - it's in a fantastically tight and inconvenient location, and half the length will have to be dug by hand, down to about 8 ft :-( I've had a bid to reline the pipe with what I believe is called "cured in place pipe". It's like a vinyl sock that they blow down the tube, fill it with hot air, and it cures into a rigid lining inside the old pipe.

I've had a couple local plumbers tell me they think it's a band-aid - they don't believe in it. Others have never heard of it. The cost to do this is half of the cost to dig. I know it won't be as good as a new pipe, but if it'll last even 10-12 years, that may be good enough.

Does anyone have experience with this stuff? Should I get the lining? Thanks very much for your help.

Replies to this post