Re: Uneven hot/cold water pressure
Posted by Sylvan Tieger on May 23, 2004 at 14:29:00:
In response to Re: Uneven hot/cold water pressure
: : Hello,

: : Recently the landlord replaced my water heater. It had been working fine from my point of view before that.

: : Now the hot water pressure seems about half as the cold water pressure.

: : I noticed he installed a pressure regulating valve on the inlet to the water heater.

: : I tried adjusting it to its maximum opening, but the hot water pressure is just too low.

: : Example: During a shower, miniscule changes in the cold water faucet greatly affect the temperature of the water coming out. Also, sudden changes in the temperature happen sometimes. I assume because the pressure regulating valve is constantly adjusting. This all makes for unenjoyable showers frankly.

: : I removed the pressure regulator and the problem went away. I could get even pressure on cold/hot and maintain temperature more consistently. Unfortunately the pressure relief valve of the water heater now leaks, and the pipes near the heater produce a high-pitch squeal consistently. So back the pressure valve went.

: : Now I'm left to wonder if the pressure regulating valve should be installed before the water heater, before the main water diverges throught the apartment.

: : I believe the plumber installed the pressure regulating valve only because the heater could not handle the pressure (i.e. noise). There was no regulating valve with the old heater. There were no problems before.

: : Any ideas?

: : I'm having a new GF stay here a week coming up and I don't want unpleasent shower experiences to be her excuse to sleep in a hotel :)

: : Thanks,

: If you have excess pressure, the pressure regulator should be installed on the main incoming cold line, NOT the inlet to just the water heater. Most likely the water heater will need an expansion tank installed. Just as you suspect, the water pressure for the cold is substantially higher than the hot. Your landlord has put you and everyone else in the building at risk for a serious scalding. Most places have laws against non plumbers doing work like this. This is a prime example of why laws like this are in place.
: Deb
: The Pipewench

wow I didnt know that good call darlin OR is it great minds think alike?

Replies to this post