Re: keep pipes from freezing
Posted by PW on May 17, 2004 at 11:08:10:
In response to Re: keep pipes from freezing
Deb,

For some reason in this area we still call it tape, possibly it is because many of the manufacturers of the product like Frostex call it heat tape.

: : I am adding a bathroom over an existing crawl space. What is the best way to prevent these pipes from freezing in the cold Wisconsin climate?

: The best thing you can do is to make sure that your crawl space is absolutely tight--that there is not crack or crevice for cold air to enter. We went under our place and used expanding foam every place that you could see light. If you can see light, cold air can enter. Then we insulated the walls with a rigid foam insulation. You can use heat CABLE (not tape) and insulation on the pipes if it gets really cold. You can monitor the temp in the crawl space to see how warm it stays. For extra heat during extra cold times, light bulbs (and natural ground heat) can generally keep things from freezing. I can't say that I have ever gone into a really tight crawl space and repaired a freeze break. We also get alot of snow which helps insulate the crawl spaces.
: Deb
: The Pipewench

Replies to this post
There are none.