Re: sink supply lines
Posted by Sylvan Tieger on May 15, 2004 at 12:50:20:
In response to Re: sink supply lines
: What are the best supply lines to use to go from the cutoff valve to the faucet. I always thought it was the ones that are wrapped with the steel braid, but I just had one of those burst right in the middle. Are the ones with the nylon braid embedded in the plastic tubing better?

Hi Allen,

The "Best would be RED brass piping with the proper adapter to the faucet.

2nd choice would be copper tubing Type "L" (Drawn Temper)

3rd would be copper tubing (Annealed) with compression or flared fittings.

The flexible ones that are sold in home centers are for the folks who really are not plumbers and have a major problem using piping that requires semi skill to install.

Even the "stainless steel" ones depend on a "O" ring for water tight integrity.

Personally If you hired someone and they used anything but copper or brass supply risers I would show them the door and tell them please dont let the door hit you in the butt on your way out.

What a home owner can use is a 3/8 copper, either bare copper or crome plated and a compression adapter Male or Female 3/8 or 1/2" depending on your supply valve configuration as copper is bendable easy to work with and no rubber parts to depend on.

No way should you allow the flexy type to be used.

HINT in case your interested see below.

I work for several law firms going after inept plumbers and manufacturers and I have gone to court against not only the installer but the manufacturer and the supply house (home center) that sold flexy connections for "product liability".

Once the judge /jury sees a copper speedy (riser) and the garbage flexy it a no win for the installer and thus his/insurance company is liable

Even the "code" cannot be used a defense as there is something called "good plumbing practices" and the so called code set minimum guide lines.

For example if someone should install an AAV and some child ends up with a lung disorder from fumes entering the home the installer would be hard pressed to defend themselves in a criminal law suit THEN comes the civil as criminal neglect was already proven in most cases.

Check the failed flexy and see what approvals it has, as many are imported and thus NOT LEGAL under the better codes and you can go after the installer to at least pay for damages like clean up MOLD that may have been caused by faulty workmanship or defective materials.

I once went after a plumbing chief inspector in a town and we won a judgment against him personally and the town for the modifications they made to the code.

Nothing personal but someone has to watch over unscrupulous codes and installers who want to get in get out like plumbing is a race not a profession.

If you need any more information contact me by E mail.

Hope no one slipped on the water that was caused by this leak.

Like one lady broke her hip and settled for $370,000 out of court settlement for her pain and suffering from the flexi busting during the night.

She didnt notice and slipped and bless her poor heart she had no other income but going ater the installer of garbage.

Replies to this post