Re: Laundry Tub
Posted by Deb on May 14, 2004 at 10:51:49:
In response to Re: Laundry Tub
: I have an extremely small laundry room and I would like to install a laundry tub next my stacked washer and dryer. I could drain the washing machine into the tub; however I would love to be able to connect the sink into the current plumbing for the washing machine. The house was just built three months ago and sits on the ground level with a basement obviously below.

: If I attempt to install the drain for the laundry sink into the current washing machine drain stack I was informed that I would need to branch the pipe after the trap for the washing machine. With this in mind, I now believe that the best location for the branch is the horizontal pipe between the stud and the PVC from above. Since this will be two horizontal connections I believe that I will need to use a 2" X 2" X 11/2" Reducing Wye.

: Here is a crude diagram of the current layout or click the following link
: http://home.netcom.com/~noswald/images/drain.bmp

:
: |||| | ||| | |||
: ||||----|-------|||--|| |||
: |||| ||| u |||
: |||| ||| |||

: /\ /\ /\ /\
: || || || ||
: End P S stack pip
: Of V t + trap
: Wall C u from
: d washing machine
: from
: above
: connection

: Stats

: The Stack Pipe to the bottom of the trap is 30"
: The trap is 12" off of the floor
: The distance between the stud and the drain on the left is 11"
: PVC = 2"
: After the pvc enters the end of the wall it takes a 90 turn into the basement

:
: My questions are

: 1) Is this even feasible
: 2) Will this just cause more problems?
: 3) Do I have any other alternatives besides the option of draining the washer into the sink?

No, you cannot do it like you show here. The connection cannot be made on the trap arm--the part of the piping between the p-trap and its vent (is this really the way the washer was originally vented?). The connection not only needs to be made after the p-trap, but also after the point of vent.
If you live in an area where you can wet vent, you may be able to cut a san tee into the vent. However, there are many, many rules for a wet vent, like a 2" pipe size minimum and your washer vent is probably 1-1/2"...
Or
You could cut a wye in on the horizontal past the washer vent. You would need to vent the launtry tub, but this could tie back in with the washer vent 6" above the flood rim level of the highest fixture.
Deb
The Pipewench

Replies to this post
There are none.