Re: cracked frost-free sillcock
Posted by e-plumber on May 07, 2004 at 17:26:49:
In response to Re: cracked frost-free sillcock

: We have a house with a finished walkout basement. We discovered wet carpet in one of the basement bedrooms the other day. In trying to find the problem, we have determined the problem seems to stem from a frost-free sillcock on the back wall of the house (shared with that same bedroom). When the sillcock is turned on, it sounds like water is running inside the exterior wall and the floor in that bedroom gets wet. When the sillcock is turned off, no water is running (audibly and per the meter) and the water dries up.

: My question is, how did this happen and what is the best way to fix it? I watched the video I made of the basement prior to and during the finish and, of course, that sillcock is buried behind a finished marble wall in a bathroom, so going at it from the inside is really not an option.

: There don't seem to be any barriers on the outside wall (from that tape) like going through studs or anything, so my thought is to remove some siding, cut a hole in the sheathing, and repair it that way.

: Any thoughts on this? How do I make sure this doesn't happen again? Thanks much.

Reply:
This problem is common, (frost free bibbs freezing and spliting). Most, if not all the time the reason is because someone left a garden hose attached and the bibb couldn't drain properly, held water, froze and burst.
As for replacing it, I usually install bibbs to screw onto the feed line instead of sweating it directly onto the pipe, maybe it will unscrew from the outside...
Install a new frost free bibb with a vacuum breaker and designed to drain thoroughly even if a garden hose is left connected.
e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.