Re: Replacing tub and surround
Posted by Marc , plumbing contractor in California on April 30, 2004 at 00:57:44:
In response to Re: Replacing tub and surround
: Hi All,

: I'm a carpenter/contractor who has not replaced a one-piece finerglass tub and surround before. I am looking at pulling out an old 1 piece unit and putting in a 2, 3, or 5 piece. One supplier told me that dimensions are measured down to the studs. Does this meant that I have to demo a bunch of sheetrock just to get the new unit in? If they make them in several pieces for remodel applications (as opposed to new construction) why would they have you have to pull of the sheetrock just to do the new install? I know I will be down to the studs when I pull the old unit, but I am trying to understand how to slide the new unit (especially the tub) into place without having to demolish extra sheetrock. Any tips? Can you also copy your replies to my email address:

: Thanks!

Reply: Sheetrock comes out. Kohler's Vikrell is the best system I've seen (still, wouldn't have it in any property I am associated with). Better: Go with an Americast type tub and use a cheaper wall system if you must. The more spent now, the less long term cost.

Replies to this post
There are none.