Re: Rough in plumbing access hole.
Posted by e-plumber on April 27, 2004 at 19:11:41:
In response to Re: Rough in plumbing access hole.
: We're currently building a home with one of the "custom homebuilders" in our area. We've been schedualed to move in mid june '04. One of the features that we've asked for is rough-in plumbing for a future 3pc bathroom (tub/shower, toilet & sink). When the basement floor was poured, an 8" round access hole was placed in the cement for the tub drain. The access hole is not in the location specified in the blueprints for the drain, nor is it above the under-slab pipe. To confirm my measurements, I cracked out the gravel in the hole until I found the pipe, which happens to be several inches to the side of the access hole. The builder has responded that the customer must break the cement out when the bathroom is developed, and that this is standard industry practice. Are they making this up to avoid fixing the problem? Shouldn't the access hole have been placed over the pipe at the location specified in the blueprints?

: Replace "&" with "@" to email me.

Reply:
As long as the drain pipe is within the opening in the slab, a little chipping of the cement may be needed to make a cut in the piping, offset it and install the drain trap in the exact place it needs to be. An 8" opening is kind of tight to begin with.
e-plumber

Replies to this post