Re: Galvanized pin hole leaks
Posted by hj on April 16, 2004 at 13:15:30:
In response to Re: Galvanized pin hole leaks
Your heating system is a closed system, so even if water is added, the amount is so small, and since it stays in the system, any "chems" in it degrade very quickly and have little, if any, effect on the piping. Your problem was caused by something else, possibly just age.

: 82 yr old radiator pipe under upstairs floor appears to be leaking: 2'long, 1/3 inch wide dampness mark on ceiling under radiator and window. Recent flashing of window still looks good. I assume pipe is galvanized but since its exposed members are all well painted, not sure. Replaced gas furnace in fall so some water from a Washington, DC, provider was added. This source has done a number on many local copper pipes.
: If I replace a section, I will need to replace the water in the lines and may increase risk of more holes if the chems in the water are the culprit. Isn't there a CA company that installs a liner through pipes? Would this work?
: It would be extremely expensive to replace the entire system since we have a stucco house, inside and out. We also love the radiator heat. Any thoughts?

Replies to this post