Re: Can this tub drain cover(Kohler) be removed? ....pic included
Posted by Sylvan Tieger on April 11, 2004 at 12:11:07:
In response to Re: Can this tub drain cover(Kohler) be removed? ....pic included
: : : Does anyone know whether this type of overflow drain in an oldfashioned tub can be removed, and if so, how? The chain you see has the tub stopper connected to it.

: : :

: : :

: : : I want to snake my tub, and from what I've read in this type of tub, you need to work through the overflow drain. I have tried to get the snake in that way, but not too diligently, but maybe I'll try again. (I have my own snake lol.)

:
: : The bolt with the ring through it is what holds the over plate in place.

: : By unscrewing this ring you can mow remove the place and snake doqn the over flow BUT I have another suggestion for you.

: : Considering this is old why not try the following as snaking can disloge

:
: : The bolt with the ring through it is what holds the over plate in place.

: : By unscrewing this ring you can mow remove the place and snake down the over flow BUT I have another suggestion for you.

: : Considering this is old why not try the following as snaking can dislodge the brass tubing from the tee or break off the over flow pipe from the connection below.

: : Try using a WET dry vacuum and hold a ran over the over flow to get better suction this should clear the trap of any hair.

: : Get a General Ram jet fill the tub to about 1/2 way again cover the over flow pump the ram to 30-40 PSI and hold the rag tight and pull the trigger.

: : Should work with two or 3 shots

: Reply:
: This cover unscrews, the complete cover will turn off, CCW. There isn't a bolt or screw holding it. I usually use an old pair of needle nose pliers, 95% of the time it comes off easily. As for using a vacuum or air ram, I have found mostly it's a waste of time and snaking the drain line is the way to go.
: e-plumber

Just hope he does not have lead piping (trap)

Replies to this post
There are none.