Re: Americast "creak" under load
Posted by e-plumber on April 09, 2004 at 19:08:09:
In response to Re: Americast "creak" under load
: I have installed an Americast Princeton bathtub and find that flex under load at the back wall stringer creates a creaking noise. I confirmed the tub to be level front to back and side to side. The flange of the tub has a small gap (1/6 to 3/32 of an inch) at the drain end when resting on the stringer and the flex noise in that area stops when a small cedar wedge is fitted. I cannot find any other point with a tub flange to stringer gap of any sort.

: I have removed the tub inspected the stringer and floor and found them to be dead level, parallel and smooth.

: In preparation for reinstallation, I sanded off the mold selvage along the underside of the tubs flange area but am wondering whether there is any sort of bedding that I might put on the stringer to eliminate gaps and the resultant creaking noise when loaded? I'm concerned that whatever I do needs to be able to support the roughly 700 pound of water that a full tub will hold and have reasonable longevity.

: Given the large number of these tubs sold I can't believe I'm the only one experiencing this problem.

: An ideas/suggestions will be appreciated!

: Paul B.

Reply:
A good idea when setting a tub, even after using the level to check it, climb in and shift your weight length wise back a forth. There may be a creeking sound, instead of using a cedar wedge, use something that won't deteriorate or possibly rot out. There is probably a very slight imperfection in the stringer, it's actually quite common.
e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.