Re: Trap type and diameter for clothes washer...
Posted by Curtis on April 04, 2004 at 23:48:04:
In response to Re: Trap type and diameter for clothes washer...
Thanks for the reply...

From my little plumbing knowledge, in fact a copper or iron P and S trap are in fact the same height, the S trap simply has an extra 90� to point down to connect to a vertical pipe and is what most people use in a bathroom sink for example... With the black ABS plastic traps in my home (I live in Canada by the way), there is a very short piece of ABS pipe that interconnects all traps, elbows, tees, etc. as every end is female. In the case of my washer, this piece of pipe is actually longer than 1" (there are ~1/2" overlaps on each end) so therefore the top of the S-trap is slightly above the level of the entry point, therefore in order for water to exit, it has to 'climb' an extra inch or so to leave the trap and I guessed that this is part of the reasoning why I get reduced throughput causing water on my floor.

I simply wondered if increasing the size of the pipe and/or changing the type of trap (essentially removing the 2 extra 90� turns that are there now) would work and if it would most likely improve the setup. Hopefully someone can comment further, see my very rough drawings below...

My screwed up install of an S trap

| | | |
| | | |
| | | |
| | ______ | | 1 1/2"
| | | __ | | | vent
| | | | | | | | stack
| | | | | |_______| |
| | | | |_________ |
| |__| | | |
|______| | |
| |

What would look like with a P trap

| | | |
| | | |
| | | | 1 1/2"
| | | | vent
| | | | stack
| | ______________| |
| | | ____________ |
| |__| | | |
|______| | |
| |
| |

What would look like with all 2" pipe, using a P trap and using the 45� cleanout instead of a Tee

| | | |
| | | | all
| | | | 2"
| | | | pipe
| | | |
| | _____________ | |
| | | \| |
| | | __________ \ |
| |__| | \ |
| | \ |
|________| | |
| |
| |

I hope the artwork helps explain it better ;)

Thanks again for the response...

: Get a plumber. A "P" trap and an "S" trap, if you really have one, have the same "lift" dimension. The difference between the two is how the pipe after the "bend" is arranged. Your description is very convoluted and appears to be making a simple task into a major project.

Replies to this post