change hot water radiator set up?
Posted by Lisa on April 04, 2004 at 14:27:51:
I have an ell to our ~1870 house(~10'x14' room)that has two old hot water radiators. They are on a separate thermostat, and I see in the basement that I can close the valve to drain them both w/out draining the whole house. Last year I opened the can of worms by removing the carpet, found more carpet, layers of linoleum...anyhow I will be stripping all +/or installing a new floor. The radiators need to be removed (?) so I can get layers of carpet etc out from under them and so they can be stripped and painted (they are peeling now). My question is...since these two radiators are on a separate section of the heating system, can I (should I)replace them with a newer hot water radiator setup, such as baseboard? They currently take up a lot of space, and we are limited as to where we can place furniture, etc. Would this be a problem if the rest of the house had the old plumbing/radiator system? Also, would it be reasonable to install a radiant floor heat system in the one room? There is currently a wood stove in that room, and I wonder if we keep the old radiators (I like them aesthetically, but not so much practically regarding space), would only one be ok for the space? Thanks for any input.

Replies to this post