Re: Water softener; help
Posted by Gary Slusser on April 02, 2004 at 12:06:50:
In response to Re: Water softener; help
: I just got my water bill. It was estimated in December, January, and February, at $46 per month (I live in Indiana where we do have the winter season w/snow sometimes).

: I got the March bill- $1065. Ouch.

: I think the problem may be my water softener, but want some advice. It seems to run a lot, but I didn't think much of it because I thought the way it works is the water runs through there, and is kind of "held" until it gets run through a faucet, shower or toilet.

: Could a water softener that runs constantly be causing something like this?

: Related note- any advice on how I can get the bill reduced?

: If I had gotten an actual meter reading several months ago, the bill may have been a couple hundred $- certainly enough to get my attention and get this checked out, but not over $1000.

: thanks
: Michael

It's easy enough to check the drain line of your softener to see if water is flowing to drain constantly. If so, yes that will spin the meter sufficiently t ocause a very high water bill. That's because backwash flow is usually over 1 gpm until you find out things aren't working right. You won't have softened watrer if this is happenng. If the unit has been using salt, this won't be the cause of your problem and then is much more likely that you have a water leak past the meter. Check all toliet tank water levels that none are overflowing. Check the flapper valve by adding a few drops of food coloring into the bowl and over an hour or so, make sure no color shows up in the bowl. If it does you have a leaking flapper valve.

I'd suspect an underground or other location leak that hasn't shown evidence of itself yet.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Replies to this post
There are none.