Re: Rooter equipement
Posted by js plumber on April 02, 2004 at 00:17:59:
In response to Re: Rooter equipement
: That machine will only unplug a few drains. For the rest you need a machine which can cost $1,000.00 or more. And if you do not know what you are doing with it, you can be injured or break a $250.00 snake the first time you use it. The cost of a plumber is not just the machine but the experience to use it properly.

: : Don't give up on buying a machine too quickly. It only seems to be prohibitively expensive until you get stuck paying a plumbers night or holiday rates.
: : The last time i paid a plumber $75 to unclog a sink drain, I went to Lowes and paid another $150 for a small rooter. Sure enough six months later on Christmas eve, the drain plugged again. I can only imagine what it would cost to get a plumber out on christmas. That one job more than paid for the machine.

: : The unit I got is small and only goes 50 feet. you'll need a bigger machine but even if it costs 3 times what i paid, 2 or three plugups will pay for it. Or maybe only one plugup if it happens on christmas eve. You don't need a comercial quality unit because you'll only use it an hour or so once or twice a year at most.

: : Dick

: : : Hello Terry,

: : : I stubbled on your website searching to find a rooter machine. I recently had a clogged mainline and called around my area to find out the cost. Unfortunately, many of the plumbers who claimed to be 24 hours 7 days a week weren`t. And the cost ranging from $65 per hour to a estimate $659. Lucky for me I found a guy who just does drain cleaning and charged me $80 to unclogged the drain from the roof vent. I tried to use a rental rooter and it only went 60`. This is the third time I`ve had a clogged drain. I noticed the the guy who cleaned my drain was a independant sub-contractor for a drain cleaning company. I was wondering where I can purchase my own rooter machine so I wouldn`t have to go though this again. I had to wait 3 days before someone game to clean my drain.

: : : Thank You!!
: : : Walter Fredzess

You get what you pay for! Any experienced plumber knows that the guy on your roof could not have used the proper sized euipment since he cleared it from the roof. The best he could do under those circumstances was to open a very small hole through the blockage. But you do have choices.
#1. You can continue to have side-work plumbers or handy men temporarily open the drain every month or so.
#2. You can buy expensive equipment and possibly tear an arm, hand or finger off. Or maybe end up going through or falling off of the roof.
#3. You can pay a qualified and insured plumber to run a camera down the line and identify what is causing your problem. Then have them fix it permanently and provide a warranty.
There is at least one smart option in there.

Replies to this post
There are none.