Re: water heater.
Posted by Sylvan on March 25, 2004 at 19:38:13:
In response to Re: water heater.
: could you tell me approximately how long a water heater should last. I have one that is about 8 years old and it's a six year warranty heater. furthermore could you tell me what "BTU" i should look for in a 50 gallon tank, using it for a family of 4.

: Thank You

For a family of four I would look for a rapid recovery, capacity 50 gallon if your gas piping will allow for the extra BTUs required.

How long they last depends on the water quality and how it was installed.

If a stumble bum soldered too close to the tank you get problems If a moron forgets isolation fittings (dielectric fittings) again you have problems.

If a nut case installer decides to bounce the heater on every gflight of stairs or drops it several times again your going to have a tank failure.

If you buy an AO Smith WATCH OUT as I had nothing BUT head aches with this brand.

Having incomplete combustion again your looking for problems.

Having a tank bottom full of sediment is a great way to have it fail as more heat is required to get the results you want.

You may also want to install flow restrictors to conserve water and thus use less hot water and save money on fuel and water.

Replies to this post
There are none.