Re: Air Gap "installed" under the sink
Posted by Deb on March 25, 2004 at 18:54:45:
In response to Re: Air Gap "installed" under the sink
: Just bought an old house, ran the dishwasher for the first time, and water cascaded through the floor down into the basement.

: Situation: looks like someone installed a 'sprayer' where the air gap used to be, now the air gap just sits underneath the sink inside the cubboard. I ran the dishwasher again for a second, and sure enough, it spits rather heavily.

: I know I've got to get the thing up higher so there's no sag on the way to the disposal, not to mention getting the air gap somewhere where if it spits it doesn't cause any water damage. This means removing the sprayer and replacing the airgap in that hole, or buying a new sink with an extra hole in it. I also need a new air gap (filthy, gunky, and falling apart).

: Question: is this something someone with no real plumbing experience but a fair degree of common sense and patience can do? It seems pretty straightforward.

I would also recommend calling your building dept to see if an air gap is required. I run into them all the time and they are not required where I live. If not, you can remove it and loop the drain hose as high as possible under the cabinet and secure. You will get differing opinions on air gaps. I, personally, have never seen waste water back up into a dishwasher.
The Pipewench.

Replies to this post
There are none.