Re: Air Gap "installed" under the sink
Posted by e-plumber on March 25, 2004 at 18:48:17:
In response to Re: Air Gap "installed" under the sink
: Just bought an old house, ran the dishwasher for the first time, and water cascaded through the floor down into the basement.

: Situation: looks like someone installed a 'sprayer' where the air gap used to be, now the air gap just sits underneath the sink inside the cubboard. I ran the dishwasher again for a second, and sure enough, it spits rather heavily.

: I know I've got to get the thing up higher so there's no sag on the way to the disposal, not to mention getting the air gap somewhere where if it spits it doesn't cause any water damage. This means removing the sprayer and replacing the airgap in that hole, or buying a new sink with an extra hole in it. I also need a new air gap (filthy, gunky, and falling apart).

: Question: is this something someone with no real plumbing experience but a fair degree of common sense and patience can do? It seems pretty straightforward.

Call your local building department, ask if a DW air gap is required, there's a good chance it is because you have one now and almost no one would install it if it wasn't code, but it's worth asking.
Is drilling the counter top or sink an option?
Good Luck. e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.