Re: Expansion gap in shower tile installation
Posted by Clayton on March 24, 2004 at 01:33:16:
In response to Re: Expansion gap in shower tile installation
Sounds like you have the right idea with the L shaped expansion joints. I tile my showers and tub wall-arounds that way. i've never bothered to caulk the back expansion joints to the side walls before tiling those side walls though, but that sounds like a good idea especially if you are concerned about making a good seal there. I usually finish the tile setting, grout, then after i get the haze buffed off the tile i take a grout rake and clean any excess grout or thinset out of the expansion joints and caulk them last. I come back later for the sealer.
dont forget to put down your shower pan material...... many tile setters forget it on their fist shower.

:Can someone please direct me on the proper use of expansion gaps in a shower tile installation? I�ve tiled many floors and countertops, but this is my first shower install. I want to insure proper installation and in particular, proper sealing.

: My understanding is that an expansion gap should be placed wherever the tile will meet an adjoining wall and should be �� wide. My shower has three walls and a mortar bed floor. The tile I will be using is �� thick. My current thought is to tile the middle wall first, leaving �� expansion gap to the adjoining side walls and to the mortar floor. My questions start to arise as I go to the next step of tiling the adjoining walls. Since my tile is �� thick and I want to have my �� expansion gap between this wall and the already tiled wall, it would seem that it would result in a reversed L shaped gap. Does this sound right? If I go about it in this fashion, should I then caulk the first expansion gap before tiling the side walls to ensure that it is filled appropriately for a good seal? Or, should I be doing a �� expansion gap instead, filling with backer rod and sealant?

: Thanks for the help,
: Heather

Replies to this post
There are none.