Re: Toilet Diving Board
Posted by hj on March 18, 2004 at 23:12:28:
In response to Re: Toilet Diving Board
Well, if he was a good service plumber he would have found the leaks from the tank bolts before he removed the toilet, and then he should have replaced them rather than just tightening them, because there was a reason for them loosening, usually because the center gasket has deteriorated. If the bowl did not rock previously, then there is no reason why it should do so now, but any movement will "destroy" the wax seal because it can compress when pressure is applied, but will not "rebound" when the toilet moves to a different position.

: I had water appearing around the toilet base where it contacts the ceramic tile floor. A plumber came out and pulled the toilet and said the wax was good. He said the leak must be from the water tank which was loose. He tightened the tank bolts and put down a thin wax ring on top of the existing wax. After he left I found a leak from a loose nut on the tank inlet which I tightened. I also saw that because the tile floor is lower in the back the base is only in contact with the floor from the bolts to the rear of the bowl. If I sit on the bowl it moves up and down like a diving board. Also the wax is expanding out from the sides of the bowl onto the tile floor. It has come out about 3/8".
: This cost $101 dollars. I left him a voice mail message explaining want happened. How should he repair it?

Replies to this post
There are none.