preventing plumbing freeze up
Posted by Jim Hesser on March 17, 2004 at 16:04:26:
I have a small cabin in Colorado. I need to replace a buried water pressure tank. I plan to build a concrete insulated inclosure for the tank and a water filter. The inclosure will be buried in a pit at ground level. I am concerned about leaving the cabin in the winter for 2-3 weeks at a time and leaving the water on and not winterizing the cabin against freezing. The cabin has a crawl space but the space is so limited that if things freeze it would be impossible to fix from under the house. It is a pretty big deal to winterize the cabin. I was told that a light bulb would put off enough heat to keep the water tank from freezing. But we have trouble losing electrical power to the area. Is there a very small propane heater that would have a pilot and a thermostat that could be placed in the inclosure that would take care of this? I am just grasping at straws and I feel this is not a unique problem. I wonder if someone knows how this problem is usually handled.
I also need advice on what size pressure tank I need to get the most pressure. The cabin is 700 sq. feet and has 2 baths, a kitchen, a washer/dryer and a dishwasher. What should I set the pressure valve on to get maximum pressure.
Thank you for your time---Jim Hesser

Replies to this post