Re: baseboard heating in basement
Posted by Sylvan on March 16, 2004 at 16:14:46:
In response to Re: baseboard heating in basement
: I installed baseboard heat in my basement this summer. The Plumber installed a complete loop around the basement. The copper pipe is primarily behind the sheetrock, a foot or two away from the cinderblock foundation, and comes out in three areas where the baseboard is placed. I was suprised that the copper pipe was not insulated since it sits so close to the cold cinderbock. I was told it did not have to be insulated because it's underground and could not get below freezing. I'm concerned because I don't keep the heat on all the time in the basement and I don't want the pipe to freeze. Should I be concerned, can I add antifreeze into the system. What I've been doing is keeping the heat on when the temperature drops to 15 degrees or lower. Now that the basement is finished, it's too late to insulate the entire loop.

Using anti freeze may void your boiler guarantee as some boilers use a rubberized like gasket (O ring) then can deteriorate if it comes in contact with this type chemical.

You would also have to make sure you have the proper type of back flow preventer
Check local codes and your boiler manufacturer

Replies to this post
There are none.