Re: Moving Bathroom Sink
Posted by ED on March 16, 2004 at 16:06:11:
In response to Re: Moving Bathroom Sink
You can rent a cast iron pipe cutter (snapper) from a rental center for about $10.00. Makes it easy although some of the tools are heavy.

You can use a Fernco type rubber coupler to join plastic PVC pipe to cast iron. Yes, you can cap a cast iron pipe.

For the other poster...the trap arm is the horizontal portion of the pipe between the closet bend and the vent (connector) for the toilet. It's usually a short piece of pipe.

The toilet drain is the three or four inch drain pipe that connects to the fitting attached to the trap arm which connects to the closet bend.

: : I'm moving the bathroom sink to a different wall and I have a cast iron drain in place at the original location. It would be impossible to tie back into the original drain without cutting the cast iron (which I don't have the skill to do). Would it be ok to tie the sink drain into the 4-inch toilet drain and if so, do they have pvc connectors to do this (the sink drain is 1-1/2 in)? Also, is there a fitting made to cap off the original cast iron drain?

: : Thanks for your guidance.

: : Denise (always causing my husband remodeling headaches)

: The sink is going to need to be vented. It may be able to be connected to the toilet drain. It will, however, need to be connected to the toilet drain and not the toilet trap arm--two very different things.
: If you do not have the skill to cut the cast iron, I am wondering about the ability to plumb and vent this sink correctly. The sink must be vented.
: Deb
: The Pipewench

Replies to this post
There are none.