Re: pedestal sink with plumbing in floor
Posted by Darrell Henze on March 16, 2004 at 12:26:25:
In response to Re: pedestal sink with plumbing in floor
: : I'd like to install a pedestal sink in a first floor location that has the plumbing coming up through the floor. The feed lines aren't a problem. They are spaced in such a way that they come up close enough to the wall and spaced close enough to be reasonable.
: : It's the drain that is the hassle. It comes up about 8 inches to the side of the feedlines. Fortunately I can get to the pipes through the basement so I can relocate the drain pipe "comeup location". But I can't see how I will be able to fit the necessary trap and combination of elbows to get it all behind the pedestal.
: : Does anyone have any tricks (short of replumbing it into the wall) to get that drain to fit? It woudl seem that a flexible drain pipe after the trap might work but is this available? Is is "code"?
: : Thanks in advance!
: : -Darrell

: You have an s-trap. This is not legal. You may have trouble keeping water in the trap, which will allow sewer gas into the house. Flexible drains are a bad idea. You may not be able to install a ped sink unless you are willing to open the walls and do this drainage right.
: Deb
: The Pipewench

Thanks for the reply. I have a final question, The configuration as it exists now (a sink mounted in a cabinet)was installed in the house by the builder last year. It has the drain line exiting the trap and going horizontally about 6 inches and then going into a 90 deg elbow to a vertical pipe down into the floor. Conceptually this seems the same as an S trap except for that 6" horiz run. Does that 6" horiz run allow it to make code and prevent sewer gas from coming back into the house?

Thanks for the advice.

Replies to this post
There are none.