Re: Cast Iron Patch
Posted by e-plumber on March 14, 2004 at 16:23:50:
In response to Re: Cast Iron Patch
: In the process of an inspection for a 100 year old home we are trying to buy, we were shown a hole in a cast iron drainage pipe (could we waste or roof drain not sure), which is right at the foundations entrance. First, are we able to "patch" or cut out area of damaged Cast and replace with PVC for a temporary fix or will we have to replace entire length of cast iron pipe? Secondly, if we can indeed patch areas of cast with PVC can we do so at foundation line (we are aware of having to uplift cement either way, not concerned with that issue)?
: House is an absolute gem and dont want to pass because of a costly issue if we could temporarly get buy until funds are more available..The first time buyer no money thing you know lol)
: Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
: Thanks
: Shanesmom2

My wife and I are in the same boat, also looking at homes, (12 already), hopefully to find one to purchase.
If the rest of house is in good structural condition, the radon test came back okay, there is not a termite infestation problem, the (well?) water is safe, etc. and the rest of the home inspection results were acceptable to you, I would say to temporarily patch the hole in the cast iron, or pay a licensed plumber to inspect and repair it as needed.
You already know that a 100 year old house is going to need ongoing maintenance, but on the other hand it's not easy finding a good house that meets at least some of your criteria, just don't let your emotions take over in your end decision.
Good Luck. e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.