Re: Garden water spigot where well is bored?
Posted by Lena Salvatore on March 14, 2004 at 14:14:37:
In response to Re: Garden water spigot where well is bored?
: : : : The check valve would be between the pump and the tank and your hose faucet would have to be connected after the check valve, regardless of where the actual faucet is located.

: : : : : : : : :
: : : : : : : : : My husband is in the process of installing a 3/4 horsepower -10 gallon pump into the new drilled well. He is learning as he goes and is vague to me (not sure) when I ask if we can have a water spigot out by the well to water a garden. He is putting in a new large pressure tank over about 75 feet away under a shed and says there will be a faucet there but I want one closer to where the garden will be . Can he put one where the water is coming out of the well and let the pump in the ground do its thing ? There is supposed to be plenty of water - 12 gallon a minute and water is only 43 feet down and it is 103 ft deep. Or will we have to bury a water pipe from the pressue tank to where the garden is. (Or deal with a hose forever?(hate it) Thank you for any advice-Lena

: : : : : : : : You can put a yard hydrant in. Do you live somewhere that it freezes?
: : : : : : : : Deb
: : : : : : : : The Pipewench

: : : : : : : :Live where it barely freezes 30 degrees a few times a year but warms during the day always- people don't wrap pipes here as a rule but I could put some of insulating pipewrap on the water spigot and pipe. Is that the same as a hydrant? Thanks , Lena PS - love your "handle"

: : : : : : I just don't trust Mother Nature. Next winter you could have a record cold snap. Why not put a stop and waste valve where you tap into the mainline. The mainline will be deep enough to protect from freezing, and the hose will not be needed during the winter. I'm not sure how much protection wrapping a pipe would give.

: : : : : Thanks Gary, I will look that one up too. Hubby says we need a bunch of stuff for tank setup. He is puzzling over where to put a "checkvalve" now that I am getting a faucet of some kind at the wellsite. Or if to put one at all. He said the pump has one built in.I think he is leaning toward putting one in and I quote "after the tank" but he needs some help on that I think.
: : : : : He can quiz them at the "big store in Coos Bay"
: : : : : But I am getting my faucet with the help of the nice people on this site. Thanks, Lena Salvatore

: : : If you install a yard hydrant, you will not need an inground stop and waste. The yard hydrant is buried and hooks into the main. It actually shuts off and drain in the ground. You just need to remove the hose in freezing weather so it can drain.
: : : I would recommend that your husband call a plumber or a pump person and at the very least, get some advise. This is not a really good project to be running blind on. Also, in Coos Bay, I would recommend planning for freezing weather.
: : : Deb
: : : The Pipewench
: : :Deb, you are right of course, my husband has a few questions that he can get answers for at a specialty plumbing/electrical supply place where there is experienced help there. But the help we got online will get him to ask the right questions and check out the various valves,hydrants etc and the installation techniques. I looked up the yard hydrant and it appears to need a lot of gravel around the base for drainage and comes either automatic or manual shutoff.Not quite sure what that means but I will go with hub and check it out. I want a good one. It is mine - all mine. I need a life. As for freezing -hub is going to run extra outlet to shed for heater of some sort (heat lamp was mentioned). And enclose it with some insulation. That leaves the wellcap left sticking out about a foot above ground and I was thinking of maybe a wooden barrel over it (insulated )with my faucet sticking out the side or the top. I will wait to lay that on him later. Sorry if I am breaking any chat rules but I was actually trying to stay on subject at hand. Thanks again , Lena

: Lena, The more we communicate, the more I want to encourage you to call a plumber or a pump person as I see alot of potential problems here. YoI am confused....is this a submersible or a jet pump? The water lines are going to need to be buried from the well head to the pressure tank, regardless of what your temps are. The top of the well head has to be sealed. Your statement about having a water spigot stickout out of the top or side of the well casing alarms me. I also think it is not a good idea to depend on electricity to prevent freezing. Power goes out too often.
: Also, you don't need that much gravel with a yard hydrant.
: Deb
: The Pipewench
Hi Deb-at church this morning we spoke with a man who has installed lots of well pumps . I showed him my printouts of this column and he says there is good advice there but Vinny should have a plan all laid out and he could come out and draw one up and walk him through it. He said we have a above ground installation-(submersible).He said he usually puts the tank and the wellseal on a slab with a shed that bolts down so it can be slid off in case we need to pull the pump. Makes sense to me -(I think Vinny wanted to use the shed that was already there 75 feet away from the well) but it will make a good tool shed if we go with the slab etc. Thank goodness the trenching guy couldn't make it yesterday as that may change. And the beat goes on. and on. At least the pump has been stuffed -Oh yeah the guy wants to check the wiring again for leaks where they used a heat gun to shrink tubes to splice. Vin used a little black tester but the installer has a more sophisticated one I guess. Thanks so much, Lena

Replies to this post