Re: Garden water spigot where well is bored?
Posted by Gary Slusser on March 14, 2004 at 13:23:54:
In response to Re: Garden water spigot where well is bored?
:
: My husband is in the process of installing a 3/4 horsepower -10 gallon pump into the new drilled well. He is learning as he goes and is vague to me (not sure) when I ask if we can have a water spigot out by the well to water a garden. He is putting in a new large pressure tank over about 75 feet away under a shed and says there will be a faucet there but I want one closer to where the garden will be . Can he put one where the water is coming out of the well and let the pump in the ground do its thing ? There is supposed to be plenty of water - 12 gallon a minute and water is only 43 feet down and it is 103 ft deep. Or will we have to bury a water pipe from the pressue tank to where the garden is. (Or deal with a hose forever?(hate it) Thank you for any advice-Lena

What you have described isn't going to work well. You have to feed the water from the house side of the pressure tank or when the pump is off, with his check valve on the inlet of the tank tee where it goes, you have no water (pressure) at your hydrant. So he neds to run a line from the pressure tank back t othe hydrant because the pressure switch is on the tank tee. WIth a hydrant between the pump and its switch, the hydrant stays dry when the pump isn't running.

With no check valve on the inlet to the tank tee, the water used at the hydrant will have to run backwards in the pipe from the pump becasue the pressure tank provides water when the pump isn't ruinning. That running backwards, is not a good idea. So my advice is to run a separate line back (from the house side of the pressure tank) to anywhere you want the hydrant.

I put hydrants in a 5 gallon bucket filled with gravel with a lot of holes drilled in the bottom and sides and about 6" of gravel around it and cover the top of the bucket and gravel with heavy plastic. Also about 6" of gravel under the bucket.

Gary
Quality Water Associates