Re: Garden water spigot where well is bored?
Posted by Deb on March 13, 2004 at 22:13:40:
In response to Re: Garden water spigot where well is bored?
: The check valve would be between the pump and the tank and your hose faucet would have to be connected after the check valve, regardless of where the actual faucet is located.

: : : : : :
: : : : : : My husband is in the process of installing a 3/4 horsepower -10 gallon pump into the new drilled well. He is learning as he goes and is vague to me (not sure) when I ask if we can have a water spigot out by the well to water a garden. He is putting in a new large pressure tank over about 75 feet away under a shed and says there will be a faucet there but I want one closer to where the garden will be . Can he put one where the water is coming out of the well and let the pump in the ground do its thing ? There is supposed to be plenty of water - 12 gallon a minute and water is only 43 feet down and it is 103 ft deep. Or will we have to bury a water pipe from the pressue tank to where the garden is. (Or deal with a hose forever?(hate it) Thank you for any advice-Lena

: : : : : You can put a yard hydrant in. Do you live somewhere that it freezes?
: : : : : Deb
: : : : : The Pipewench

: : : : :Live where it barely freezes 30 degrees a few times a year but warms during the day always- people don't wrap pipes here as a rule but I could put some of insulating pipewrap on the water spigot and pipe. Is that the same as a hydrant? Thanks , Lena PS - love your "handle"

: : : I just don't trust Mother Nature. Next winter you could have a record cold snap. Why not put a stop and waste valve where you tap into the mainline. The mainline will be deep enough to protect from freezing, and the hose will not be needed during the winter. I'm not sure how much protection wrapping a pipe would give.

: : Thanks Gary, I will look that one up too. Hubby says we need a bunch of stuff for tank setup. He is puzzling over where to put a "checkvalve" now that I am getting a faucet of some kind at the wellsite. Or if to put one at all. He said the pump has one built in.I think he is leaning toward putting one in and I quote "after the tank" but he needs some help on that I think.
: : He can quiz them at the "big store in Coos Bay"
: : But I am getting my faucet with the help of the nice people on this site. Thanks, Lena Salvatore

If you install a yard hydrant, you will not need an inground stop and waste. The yard hydrant is buried and hooks into the main. It actually shuts off and drain in the ground. You just need to remove the hose in freezing weather so it can drain.
I would recommend that your husband call a plumber or a pump person and at the very least, get some advise. This is not a really good project to be running blind on. Also, in Coos Bay, I would recommend planning for freezing weather.
Deb
The Pipewench

Replies to this post