Re: opening constricted galvanized pipe
Posted by Sylvan Tieger on March 13, 2004 at 12:39:52:
In response to Re: opening constricted galvanized pipe

: This old house has a 10ft piece of 1 1/2" galvanized buried in the cieling and just short of tearing out the drywall is there anything I can try pouring down the drain to open it up.If not is it safe to run a cutting blade thru it and if so what size is best..thanks

Not problem IF you use a snake the probability is your going to kink it as 11/2 piping is hard to rod with anything larger the 1/4" wire.

If you try 3/8 wire with cutting heads where is the rust and build up going to go as your snaking this line?

BEST Bet is snake slowly then water jet this line using a wet dry near by to pick up residue that should be flowing back.
Wear safety glasses.

I just cleared a 30 year old blockage using this method and it took several hours but it was very cost savings to the building owners.

Good luck and DO NOT use any chemicals UNLESS you know a decent boiler/ HVAC person who knows how to treat STEAM heating systems as we encounter this kind of situation in stream return lines and Air handler systems where black piping is encountered.

Many of the great chemicals we used for water treatment to removce rust build up is no longer allowed by the EPA so that is why I cannot give you the name.

Water jetting is safer.

Replies to this post
There are none.