Re: Cracks in Kohler Fixtures
Posted by Paul on March 09, 2004 at 20:49:10:
In response to Re: Cracks in Kohler Fixtures
: Has anyone had bad luck with Kohler fixtures? I recently purchased 9 Kohler fixtures. All of the fixtures indicate cracks in what I would call the gray areas (or the unfinished surfaces)on the underside of the fixtures.

: I went ahead and hung the lavs because I don't think the cracks would present a leak where they are located, but they are close to the lower mounting hole locations and that worrys me.

: I hung a urinal and flush tested, no leaks. An hour later I found a puddle beneath the urinal. Water was filling up a fist sized cavity that is adjacent to the bowl. Upon closer inspection, there is a crack in the corner of this cavity letting water from the bowl seep out. I inspected another urinal and found cracks in the same location.

: These cracks appear to have occured when the fixture was manufactured. Infact, some of them are covered with some kind of coating applied by the manufacturer. I am not a plumber by trade, but I am wondering if this is normal. In my business, (structural steel fabrication)cracks are not normal and they usually don't result from bad luck, but rather from carelessness in manufacturing.

: Since I am not a plumber and don't purchase regularly from this plumbing supply house, I would like to have some input from the professionals before I return the fixtures.

: Can anyone advise?

Replies to this post