Re: New house, well water pressure seems low
Posted by Deb on February 27, 2004 at 20:22:57:
In response to Re: New house, well water pressure seems low
: : : We just moved into a new-construction house, our first to be serviced by well water. The water pressure coming from all of the fixtures seems low in comparison with what we're used to. I checked the pressure gauge, and it appears the pump kicks in at about 35 PSI and shuts off at about 60. This is a two floor house, with a basement underneath, and the tank is in the basement. The water thus has to rise about 30 feet from the pressure gauge to the shower heads on the top floor. The well is about 500ft deep. I don't know the HP rating of the submerged pump.
: : : My questions: 1) is significantly lower pressure simply a fact of life with well as compared to city water?
: : : 2) What would happen if I adjusted the pressure switch to say 40/80?
: : : 3) Is it possible that the small filter (looks like a large automobile oil filter) the builder included in the system is clogged? Should I try to by-pass it and see if things improve?

: : Ideally, you want to maintain 20#s differential between your kick on and off pressure. I like a 40/60 switch. You are also loosing almost 15#s of pressure getting the water to the shower head. I would be checking the filter first. These can get clogged enough that they cut off all water supply. Also, check all the aerators for debris.
: : Deb
: : The Pipewench

:
: Hey Thanks for the tips. Do you have any thoughts on adjusting the pressure switch upward if the filter isn't clogged and the aerators are debris free?

I would have the plumber come back and adjust the pressure switch to 40/60. The pressure tank will need to be drained and the air adjusted.
Deb
The Pipewench

Replies to this post
There are none.