Re: Plumbers putty vs. silicone caulk
Posted by ED on February 23, 2004 at 15:11:40:
In response to Re: Plumbers putty vs. silicone caulk
Maybe you know this so this is for others - When you seal up your water lines, etc to the other fixtures with the threaded connectors, do not use plumbers putty to seal, use teflon tape, paste, or some other joint compound. Plumbers Putty is for sealing/setting fixtures' surfaces to another surface or for drains, etc. where there is no pressure like in water lines.

Of course as the other person said, do not use it (putty) on marble, stone, those fixtures which could be stained by the putty, use the silicone caulk instead.

: : As I'm moving from fitting pipe to installing fixtures in my new (75+ year old) house, I'm wondering which material to use for various sealing tasks.

: : I know some plumbers prefer putty, while others use silicone. I can see both sides: I've scraped an awful lot of dried putty off of fixtures, but silicone seems a little flimsy, somehow.

: REPLY: WE USE PUTTY ON BASKET STRAINER AND G.DISP, AND SINK FLANGES. ALSO, UNDER FLANGES WITH TOO MUCH EMPTY SPACE UNDERNEATH. NEVER USE PUTTY ON STONE DUE TO OIL STAINING.
: SILICONE IS GREAT ALMOST ALL OTHER PLACES, LIKE, WHERE FAUCETS CONTACT DECK, AT FLOOR AROUND WC.

: : So, would any of our resident professionals care to weigh in? I'm interested in your experiences with both materials, and *why* you use one or the other.

: : Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me...

Replies to this post
There are none.