Re: Bathroom Sink Smell Despite Plumber's best effort
Posted by Gerry Clyke on February 22, 2004 at 12:35:50:
In response to Re: Bathroom Sink Smell Despite Plumber's best effort
: : Help! I am having a problem with a sewer smell coming very clearly from the sink in my main floor bathroom. The smell began a couple of months ago when my husband installed a new sink. The smell is intermittent, and seems to be at its strongest when it's raining or snowing outside. I have had the plumber out several times and spent quite a bit of money and the problem is not fixed. He has changed the trap, run a camera through the pipe, and put in all new vent pipe in my attic (except the piece that goes out the roof), and says there is nothing wrong. He says his only suggestion is to jet clean the pipes and see if that helps. Everything I read suggests a venting problem, so I am questioning the wisdom of cleaning sewer lines that may or may not fix the problem. I would be grateful for ideas how to proceed.

: Reply:
: If there is a drain trap holding water and the line is properly vented, it is impossible that the odor is from the drain itself, especially on a relatively new lavatory basin, (no gunk build -up in overflow passage). The trap would need to siphon out in order to disperse odors.
: Is it possible the foul odor could be from the water, or the toilet seal?, it wouldn't be the first time...
: Good Luck. e-plumber

I recently bought a house ( 15yrs old ) with the same problem! Our downstairs ( basement level ) bathroom has a foul smell ( sewer type odor) coming from the sink. I was told by a plumber that the trap needs to constantly have water in it to keep fumes from being emmitted. I don't understand why the fumes are there in the first place. They are not present in any other sink in the house ( including the laundry sink on the same floor as the "trouble" sink).So how can this be fixed\stopped??? I am not around 24/7 to run water into the trap when needed. Somebody please HELP!!!!!

Replies to this post
There are none.