Re: Am I too picky?
Posted by Linda on February 21, 2004 at 09:11:16:
In response to Re: Am I too picky?
Thanks to everyone who responded. Yes, this was supposed to be a reputable, licensed contractor -- my (new) husband selected him, but I had every reason to believe he was fine and had a friend for whom he had done work who said he was great. They have been in business for many years, have their own showroom and are dealers for a number of quality products.

They will fix the door and the caulking, but I am stuck with the heights of the fixtures because they say my husband confirmed the choices every step of the way, and he does not deny it. I have not moved into the house yet and was not able to be there while the work was being done because I was working.

They say the bubble in the toilet is because of the kind of toilet it is, and I'm afraid I can't remember they type -- syphoning? pressure? The toilet was made by Gerber -- should I inquire of them? The bubble doesn't seem to hurt anything -- it's just disconcerting because it seems unusual to me.

The sink did have to be offset -- that was a Home Depot "misunderstanding" and another salesman from another Home Depot confirmed it. Thanks to the person who suggested a larger mirror. That is what we will be doing, although I will have to lose the sconces for now. The contractor is taking care of this, which I see as a sign of good faith) Actually, since this is now a much wider mirror, I am thinking of having the sconces mounted on top of the mirror on either side of the matching three light bar, but I will have that done later by an electrician -- one that I hire and whose work I am there to supervise (I have "fired" my husband from any hiring and supervisory duties.)

There is nothing that can be done about the tile -- except neither hire nor recommend these guys again. It is beige tile, so it doesn't look too bad. (The border tiles are about 8 or 9 inches, so it could have been done right. They very obviously just started in the corner.)

This house is kind of in the country outside a much smaller city than where I live now. I am worried that I am going to run into this kind of thing.

: I think you have very valid concerns. I am surprised a quality-oriented professional would do work that borders on shoddy in some places.

: Did you hire a reputable, licensed, and insured
: contractor? Or did you hire a Handyman?
: DId you check references?

: I hope you will be able to work this out to your satisfaction.

: : We are in the process of having a bathroom remodeled. I have noticed some problems. We had a whirpool installed and the "faucet" (It is a one piece unit)is located so high that I will not be able to add hot water while seated in the tub. I am mobillity impaired by arthritis, so having to stand up to do this is literally a pain. Also, this is a bath/shower combination, and there is a unit that contains massage jets for the shower. They are placed at a height where, to put it as delicately as I can, a massage with any vigor would be quite painful if I were facing the water supply. Also, I will not be able to reach the shower head to adjust it.

: : Also, we had a half bath installed and whenever the toilet is flushed, a big air bubble comes up.
: : There are other problems, too, but they are carpentry rather than plumbing related. The mirror is much too high, and we asked them to install sconces in addition to the bar light and the sconces are almost the same height as the bar, negating the whole purpose of cross-lighting. (I am 5'3" which I think is about average for a woman.) Also, the floor tile was not centered in the room and the door on the half bath doesn't close properly. The vanity top was ordered with an offset sink -- I think that was a misunderstanding, but the result is that when standing at the sink you are at the edge of the mirror (the vanity top is 42" and the mirror is 30") The swanstone was finished with white caulk, rather than matching, and the lines are quite thick in spots, making the look not even as good as fiberglass,which would have been much cheaper.

: : I will be speaking with the contractor this week and want to know in advance if I am being unreasonable to want these things fixed. Which of these things should I be expected to pay for to make these things right?

: : Thanks for any guidance you can give me.

: :

Replies to this post
There are none.