Re: Bathroom in the basement
Posted by e-plumber on February 20, 2004 at 07:09:56:
In response to Re: Bathroom in the basement
: I have a 3 year old home and I would like to finish the basement and add a bathroom. I want to add a toilet, sink, and tub. My soil waste pipe runs above the slab along the wall.

: I do not have the pipes roughed in and am trying to decide what to do. I do have a waste basin with an ejector pump right in the area I would like to add the bathroom. Here are my questions...........

: 1. Is the goal in the installation to run all the drain lines to the basin?

: 2. Do I need to tie all the fixtures into the vent stack?

: 3. As a fairly capable handyman with limited plumbing experience should I attempt this or give it to a pro?

: 4. What should I expect to pay for this if I go with a pro?

: Thanks

Reply:
1. Is the goal in the installation to run all the drain lines to the basin?
2. Do I need to tie all the fixtures into the vent stack?
>It depends on your piping layout, all the fixtures for the basement bathroom need to be vented, they do not necessarily need to tie into the "vent stack" if an appropriate vent can be located<

3. As a fairly capable handyman with limited plumbing experience should I attempt this or give it to a pro?
>There are strict codes that need to be followed for this installation. Unless you are familiar with them, hiring a pro may be your best bet. Have the pro do the rough work, you can set the fixtures and do the finish work, if the pro doesn't mind<

4. What should I expect to pay for this if I go with a pro?
>The only way to get an accurate quote or even an estimate for the work would be to have a licensed plumber look at the existing conditions<

Good Luck. e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.