Tub faucet drips - but only when OTHER faucets in house are used
Posted by Bronson Beisel on February 16, 2004 at 10:09:10:
I have a strange problem. I am helping a friend remodel her bath, and we recently installed the new shower/tub valve and faucets. Before sweating the copper joints, I followed the manufacturer's instructrions (I believe it's a Pegasus brand from Home Depot), and removed the center handle/spindle with the O-rings and the two rubber bushings/springs behind that as well as another valve to the right of the center handle. I did not remove the integral stops as the directions indicated they didn't need to be removed.

Anyway, after getting everything sweated together, I tested for leaks. No leaks. The system works fine, and does not drip after the water is turned off. However, anytime another faucet in the house is run or if a toilet is flushed, water then leaks from the tub faucet.

Is that weird? Could it be that the two small rubber bushings aren't set correctly and need to be replaced? I would think that if the unit was going to drip, would do it all the time as it is under pressure all the time. It just seems odd that it only drips when other faucets are running.

Any help you can provide will be most appreciated.