Re: Water Hammer on Frozen pipes?
Posted by hj on February 16, 2004 at 09:43:13:
In response to Re: Water Hammer on Frozen pipes?
Unless it is happening when you use a faucet, in which case it is that faucet that needs repairing, the most likely suspect is the fill valve in the toilet.

: : I am trying to find "the mystery noise" that has suddenly taken over my house. It sounds/feels like someone is hitting the floor or wall somewhere with a sledgehammer. Thus I am assuming it is the problem called water hammer. (if not please enlighten me)
: : It seems to be happening in 2 places though. It took me a few days to notice, but both rooms it seems to be happening (near..in?) have outside spigots for a hose on the wall somewhere. Is it possible that the pipes are frozen and thus I am getting a water hammer effect of the water hitting ice or is this something else.
: : If it is frozen all I can think to do is buy the heating wire and wrap the spigots in that and insulation somehow. any advice is welcome.

: Reply:
: All piping should be protected from freezing but that's not your trouble, frozen piping would prevent water flow and possible burst pipes.
: One or two of your faucets may have loose parts inside them causing the water hammer and/or your water pressure is excessive, start by trying to isolate which faucets are causing the problem, then inspecting the faucets and repairing them if needed. Average water pressure should be between 45 & 65lbs., above 80lbs. requires a pressure regulating valve.
: Good Luck. e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.