Re: adding a master bath, in bi-level
Posted by ED on February 09, 2004 at 14:22:16:
In response to Re: adding a master bath, in bi-level
You should consult with a local plumber to give you the "best" options.

We can only make suggestions. Raising a false floor is usually the least preferred option.
If your drains are located under the floor, that usually provides the best option. A friend mentioned something about "hydrostatic" water pressure forcing moisture through the floor.

If you have that problem (like with high water tables) you should have a sump pump. How often does it operate?

You should do a moisture test on your floor and walls before you do anyting. Place a piece of polyethylene plastic or aluminum foil on the floor and the walls. Check for condensation underneath. That would indicate water is leaking through the floor, walls, etc. If you have a serious water issue, you need to address that before the bath.

Back to your issue, there are code requirements for ceiling height. Raising a floor may violate that code.

Another option is to install a macerating pump system. That would elminate breaking concrete because wastes are pumped out of the fixtures and into the drain. Usually these are used for main drains that come out of the wall instead of the floor.

The preferred option is to let mother nature do her course with a gravity flow system. This would,
however, require opening the floor to tap into the drain. This looks and functions the best of all these options. Do not forget you will have venting issues as well. That is why it's recommended you consult with a plumber.

: HI!!
: Need some help please. I am buying a bi-level house in VA... The house was built in 1969 and only has one bathroom. Being married and having two kids i need a second bathroom *grin* anyway...
: what is the best way in putting a bathroom in the downstairs of this house. there is a utility room (about 20 x 20) below the upstairs bathroom that doubles as the laundry room, so there is access to water, and electricity. The floor in that room is concrete, no carpet.
: A friend of mine told me that instead of breaking up the floor (because of hydrostatic water problems - something about the water forcing itself up through the floor) that i should build a false floor for the new bathroom which would raise the toilet and shower. This, if it would work, seems like a good idea, but i did not see any drainage pipes (didn't look that hard yet either though).
: TIA
: Paul

Replies to this post
There are none.