Re: leaks when connecting sink stopper pipe to plastic piping
Posted by hj on February 07, 2004 at 16:32:47:
In response to Re: leaks when connecting sink stopper pipe to plastic piping
Deb's comments were for a kitchen sink drain, not a lavatory like you have. Actually, if you have a metal sink pipe, you might be better off buying 12" threaded tube and cutting it to the proper length rather than using the slip extension piece. But in any case, hand tight is not enough. It will either leak or fall off when it is bumped.

: : : I have connected the metal pipe that is part of my sink-stopper kit to a new plastic piping "slip joint extension tube." I followed the instructions and did not use any sealent and only tightened the nuts over the washer with my hand, but there is a slight leak.

: : : I have something called "plumber's goop" and plumber's putty on hand. Would these work as additional sealent between the two pipes or should I be using something stronger or more appropriate.

: : : I know these packs tell you to just fit the pipes together and tighten things up, but is there a more reliable way to connect these? This is the only place where I am connecting metal to plastic. These are not connected to the trap so I can't imagine that I'd ever want to dismantle this section.

: : : Thanks, Rupert.

: : Do not use any kind of sealant--you don't need it. And this will at some point need to be disassembled.
: : I always use a metal nut when connecting to metal, even if the sink strainer came with a plastic nut. Make sure that you are using the correct flat washer and tailpiece. This washer is different than the other slip fit washers. I always use channel locks to get an extra snug on these nuts too. Everything must also line up square.
: : Deb
: : The Pipewench

: Thanks for the advice...one follow-up.

: So the metal nut and special "flat" washer should screw on to my platic connector piece? Are they usually sold together at the hardware store? The piece I have just says 1 1/4''...I want to make sure that I get the correct piece to use with this piece. -R

: I just want to make sure that I get the correct

Replies to this post
There are none.