Re: Steam Unit in a Cultured Marble Shower?
Posted by GregO on February 06, 2004 at 09:13:32:
In response to Re: Steam Unit in a Cultured Marble Shower?
Bartman,

I took the liberty of posting your question to the TileMan website. The following was their response...

"Cultured marble is made of resin, fillers (alumina trihydrate) and pigments, then protected with a gel coating to give it a nonporous, shiny surface. I wouldn't expect it to do much more than deform and crack under heat; however that temperature may not be sufficient. High temperature resistance - describes the ability of the material to retain its integrity when exposed to high temperature (365 Degrees F). Glass Transition Temperature (Tg) is another measure of high temperature resistance that describes the temperature at which the material softens. Higher temperatures indicate the material will need to be heated more before it deforms."

GregO

: I have searched the net and found just about nothing on this subject. I did a gut n' re-build of two bathrooms in my house a few months ago. Everything was permitted and inspected. I did plumbing & wiring. Anyway, I told both the main contractor and cultured marble guy (and the inspector) that I was installing the steam head in the shower and wanted to know if there was anything special about the cultured marble. They all told me no problem, people do this all the time. The steam unit mfr. (Sussman/Mr. Steam) recommends the use of cultured marble (but not Corian) with their steam units. I followed the steam unit mfrs. instructions and asked the plumbing supply shop (local shop, NOT Home Desperate) that I bought it from for tips/pointers. Installation was fine, no leaks or problems. Passed first and final inspections with no hits or required fixes.

: But now - After less than a dozen uses, I think the high temperature has damaged the cultured marble. The marble is dished in where the head is mounted (like it shrank) and a crack has formed below it. I noticed the crack (almost 1/16" wide) while using the steam unit in the shower. After I shut it off and everything cooled back down the crack was a barely visible hairline. Later, a BIG crack spread completely across the wall, through the steam head area.

: How heat resistant is cultured marble? Anyone else ever put a steam head in cultured marble? The steam head obviously gets up to about 212 F. Thanks,

Replies to this post
There are none.