Re: Sewer Cleanout Test Plug
Posted by Ken on February 05, 2004 at 15:39:37:
In response to Re: Sewer Cleanout Test Plug
: If the cleanout fitting is galv. steel, isn't it threaded? You can buy a steel threaded pipe plug. Coat threads with pipe joint compound and it will seal (unless the threads are damaged). If your cleanout is old hub-type cast iron there should still be a threaded insert using the old oakum and molten lead type seal. Test plugs are for testing, not permanent sealing. You may get a better seal using silicone lube, like dow-corning vaccuum grease.

Thanks Bartman. Clean out is threaded inside.

A 2 inch galvanized pipe plug is slightly too big. Maybe the clean out is a cast iron type? The thread does not look good on the clean out. So I was hoping that I can use the 2 inch test plug to seal it by compression but the rubber washer does not expend more than 1.5" to meet the inside pipe diameter so it still has a little gap. And it leaks. Can I apply the dow-corning vaccuum grease to close the remaining gap? (Is the grease going to get wash down the sewer and create a clog later?).

I was told there is no 2.5 inch test plug, everyong only makes 2 inch then 3 inch standard pipe sizes. Is that true?

Replies to this post