Re: anchoring the bowl of a pedestal sink into old tile
Posted by Deb on February 01, 2004 at 15:45:38:
In response to Re: anchoring the bowl of a pedestal sink into old tile
: I was about to begin the process of anchoring the bowl of my new pedestal sink into a tile wall with 1/8'' toggle bolts when I realized I needed a 3/8'' masonary bit.

: I told the guy at my local hardware store my plans and he looked at me like I was about to do something very bad.

: The house is old and I don't want to chip off the old tile to install a 2 x 10 brace. What I have is a metal mounting bracket with five holoes and two holes on each side of the pedestal. I think I can get it to be relatively secure with the toggle bolts into my tile and plaster wall (1907 bathroom). I know the pedestal isn't supposed to support all (or any?) of the weight, but I keep thinking that it will take some of the pressure off of the wall and my brace.

: Any thoughts? Has anyone tried to install one of these without first putting a brace into the wall?

: My pregnent wife would like me to get this done by the end of the day regardless if I miss the super bowl or not.
:
: Thanks, R-Man.

Miss the Super Bowl? Isn't that cruel and unusual punishment?
It is not unusual for people to use some kind of toggle bolts to mount ped lav brackets. Most people do not open the wall if bracing has not been put in. Actually, the weight of the bowl is supported by the base. You may want to secure the base to the floor. I caulk the bowl to the wall, the bowl to the base, the base to the floor.
Deb
The Pipewench

Replies to this post
There are none.