Re: Building a custom radiator
Posted by hj on February 01, 2004 at 09:01:35:
In response to Re: Building a custom radiator
The enclosure is as important as the elements. If it does not direct the water past the "fins" properly the baseboard will lose a lot of its efficiency. There are fan/convector units that would fit on the wall under a window. If you go ahead with your design, (and there have been commercial units designed like that using much larger pipe than you are planning to), use a continuous serpentine method. One factor that you may not have considered is that a MonoFlo system depends on a balance between the flow loss through the radiator and the resistance created by the separation between the two tees. If the radiator has a high friction factor and the tees are placed close together there can be a reduced flow to the radiator.
: Hi all,

: I would like to convert a one pipe monoflow hot watr system to a baseboard loop. The problem is that the job spec requires I keep the radiators under the windows only. Doing so will not allow for suffucient BTU output. I looked into various types of alternative radiators, but was shocked by how expensive they became.

: My question is, can I build my own custom radiator by stacking one baseboard elemnt on top of another adn if so, should I pipe the water flow through one then the other using lots of ells, or should I use a monoflow tee to divert the flow through each element.

: My guess is that I am not the first person to think of this, so if there happen to be any commercially available solutions like this, I would love to hear about them too. Thanks!

: Charlie

Replies to this post
There are none.