Re: 2nd floor waste pipe
Posted by hj on January 31, 2004 at 17:14:03:
In response to Re: 2nd floor waste pipe
Even though the code does not require 2x6, that does not prevent a good framer from using them. Many times the plumbing is not installed exactly as some architect/engineer thought it could be, assuming he even gave a thought as to how the plumbing would be installed. Many times it is apparent that they had never even considered that upstairs plumbing would need pipes to it.

: Kent,

: My wife and I had the same problem with our house. Since we were redoing the kitchen anyways, I removed the drywall and installed another interior wall against the preexisting one and then sheetrocked, thus increasing the wall cavity to allow for the pipe (and thicker insulation). I'm still annoyed that code doesn't require 2x6 walls, especially with 3" dwv pipes running through them. All this was a lot easier than moving the dwv pipes.

: Greg

:
: : We want to replace the waste pipe in our upstairs bathroom. The current one runs down inside our kitchen wall creating a bump-out.{2/4 wall}. Can we move it up to 10ft? Also could the pipe be a smaller size? thanks, Kent

Replies to this post
There are none.