Re: insulating drain pipes for slab pour
Posted by Gary Swart on January 30, 2004 at 14:43:24:
In response to Re: insulating drain pipes for slab pour
: 1. What do I wrap ABS pipes that are being in slab that is about to be poured? No need to wrap the pipe. I'd avoid rocks on top of the pipes, but a drain will not freeze because water does not remain in them.

: 2. I'm a newbee, please send all advice on running copper lines under ground (from house to garage). I am concerned about heat loss (water heater is in the house). What do I use for this and to protect the pipe from being damaged? How deep do I barry them? Any underground water lines should be below the frost line for your area. I'd even add a foot for good measure. You always have heat loss, even inside. The longer the run, the more loss, and underground will add considerable to that problem. I have a separate small water heater in my shop(garage. That may not be practical for everyone, but works for me.

: 3. Is it better to have the male end of a water line stick out of the sheet rock so the flex lines can be screwed on easily (or should I leave it where it will be barried by sheet rock)? The flanges I'm about to use are almost flat so they will not cover much. If you bury the copper line in the wall, you will not be able to tighten the flex line fitting. It might be possible to leave the copper pipe inside the wall free to move in and out, but then you could lose the end inside the wall. Usually these connections are inside a cabinet where they are not seen. You may get some better advice on this from some of the pro plumbers.

: Thank you all in advance,

: Laleh

Replies to this post
There are none.