Re: installing new dishwasher
Posted by e-plumber on January 28, 2004 at 08:42:59:
In response to Re: installing new dishwasher
: ive read a lot of your post regarding adding a dishwasher. thanks for the help so far.

: i have an older house with cast iron drain plumbing, my sink runs to a vertical cast iron drain pipe in the block wall, my old dishwasher doesnt run to the sink or the garbage disposal, it actually goes through a rubber hose directly to a tee on the same cast iron vertical drainpipe in the wall, seems to me like there is no trap involved in that old configuration and i might get sewer gas entering the dishwasher??? my main question is whether i would be better off running the new dishwasher drain to the disposal which would require cutting thru cabinets or use the existing hookup. thanks in advance for any help or advice you can lend me.

Reply:
Check your local code to see if an air gap for the DW drain is required. If not, drill the cabinet(s) a run a new drain hose from the DW into the sink base cabinet where the disposer is. High loop the drain hose to the underneath of the countertop and secure it. Drop the hose back down, punch the plug out of the disposer DW drain inlet, (remove the small plastic piece from inside) and connect the DW drain hose. Plug or cap the old DW connection on the drain stack.
Good Luck. e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.