Plumbing shower/tub in bath remodel - question
Posted by Bronson Beisel on January 27, 2004 at 14:42:06:
Hello again!

Thanks to all of the experts who have helped me out in the past on this board. The replumb and bath remodel project I've been working on is moving right along. We finished the replumb several weeks ago (no leaks so far!), and I even put in a new drain line for the toilet and used a Fernco fitting to join with the cast iron drain line!

Anyway, all of the new supply lines are stubbed out at the future locations of the fixtures except for the tub/shower lines. I stubbed those out in the crawlspace just below the tub and capped them there.

This weekend, I will be plumbing the tub and shower and installing the new shower valve. Currently, I have 3/4" CPVC for the hot and cold lines that is capped off just under the tub.

For stability, I would like to transition to copper for the shower and tub plumbing in the walls. Should I transition from 3/4" CPVC to 1/2" or 3/4" copper, or does it matter? I know at the least I will need a fitting to go from whatever size I have to the 1/2" female fittings on the mixing valve. I know it probably seems like a silly question, but I didn't know if there was any benefit to having 3/4 copper for the 2 - 3 feet that run from the capped lines to where they'll meet the mixing valve.

Second question: Would you recommend that I install hammer arresters on the hot and cold lines (it looks like the best thing to do is put a T where the lines would turn 90 degrees to hook into the mixing valve and then put the hammer arresters above the Ts)?

I think that's it for now. Thanks for your help!

Replies to this post