Re: sewer gas? odor
Posted by e-plumber on January 26, 2004 at 20:14:25:
In response to Re: sewer gas? odor
: : : I had posted this question a bit earlier in the month, but my problem is exceedingly worse. I have a terrible odor coming from the vicinity of the tub access panel. The floor under the tub is all open, and probably open to the wall. I had my cast iron soil stack replaced in June, and the walls closed up in November. Now the stack was only replaced from about 3 feet below the second floor/kitchen ceiling, to within 1 foot of the 2nd floor bath ceiling. The sewer vent is the same pipe, cast iron, that comes out of the roof. My plumber came and replaced the tub drain on Tuesday, also the kitchen sink drain, and an old metal "Y" drain that takes the sink into the sewer line in the basement. I also had a dishwasher installed, and the sump pump drain re-routed. All three are now connected into the main sewer line. My plumber is pretty familiar with old homes. He says that the odor is probably the bricks and wall material drying out that is surrounding the soil stack. He estimates that the stack was leaking for at least 3 years. But why would it have gotten so mcuh worse over the night, (last night)? The smell is absolutely nauseating, whereas before it was bearable. The temperature has been about 12 degrees lately, I live in Southeastern PA. PLEASE SOMEONE HELP ME!!!!!

: : Reply:
: : Have the plumber return and disconnect the sump pump drain from the sewer pipe, it is against code. You probably need a professional to come to your house and evaluate what needs to be done to neutralize the odor and kill off the bacteria and mold that is the cause of the odor.
: : Good Luck. e-plumber

: Thank you. But what is code? The sump pump pumps water up to a drain that is connected to a waste line that also collects from the kitchen sink and dishwasher. Then the line goes into the main. This hits the line before the soil stack does.

Reply:
Rain water and ground water is supposed to discharge to a storm drain or outside the house, not a sanitary line. Sewer treatment plants are operating at full capacity without having to process "clean" water.
Your plumber should know this if he/she is licensed.
e-plumber

Replies to this post
There are none.