Re: Unconventional toilet vent.
Posted by Brian H. on January 25, 2004 at 21:40:00:
In response to Re: Unconventional toilet vent.
Ah ha! That might explain another problem. On some days, you can smell sewer gas very strongly on the deck and even at ground-level at the other end of the house. Now, granted that the deck is not too far away from a stack from a downstairs toilet, but I've never known anyone else's stack to give off enough of a smell to be objectionable at ground level.

So, if the wind is from the north, and is pressurizing the drain system from that horizontal vent, could it be responsible for the excessive stench coming out of the other (normal) vent stack?

Sounds like we are going to have to have someone put in a new vent stack in this icy cold weather (-5� F last night), before we can rent out the apartment.

: One problem with it, besides being completely illegal, is that since it exits the house in a horizontal direction, wind from that direction will cause a positive pressure in the drain system.

: : I recently bought a house with an apartment over the attached garage. The plumbing in the bathroom seems to have been done by an amateur, and one item in particular has me concerned.

: : The 4" vent stack for the toilet begins normally enough, but at about four feet in height, instead of continuing straight up and through the roof (which is just a few feet higher), it instead is attached to a piece of 4" flexible vent pipe (picture a dryer vent), which goes through a storage space and out the end wall of the house.

: : Am I correct in thinking that this is inadequate, and that the vent stack needs to continue up through the roof?

: : Thanks in advance!

: : Brian

: : P.S. Although the sink is tied in to this vent line, I can't figure out where the shower drain is tied in. Do showers need vents like sinks and toilets?

Replies to this post