Re: sulfur smell hot water
Posted by Gary Slusser on January 25, 2004 at 12:51:52:
In response to Re: sulfur smell hot water
: The odor and black sludge is caused by bacteria that aren't, or weren't killed by your chorination due you allowing the solution to run out and probably weaken substantially befre it ran out. That allowed the bacteria to colonize your carbon filter. When you put it back on line after running chlorinated water into the water heater, the bacteria in the bed recolonized the heater and the odor returned.

: You need the carbon replaced, the retention tank, filter and softener sanitized before adding the new carbon. The heater has to be drained, flushed and sanitized at that time too. I suggest the retention tank be drained, flushed and sanitized too. And I don't know that you can do that with the solution feeder unless you over chlorinate with it and then drain the retention tank when you are ready to put it back in service.

: Of course then you need the solution feeder set up and working correctly while the solution strength is correct or all this effort is not going to gain you anything. The only way to know it is workign correctly is water tests for free chlorine.

: I suggest a water treatment dealer be brought in to do this.

: Gary
: Quality Water Asscoiates

You can turn up the heat on the water heater and leave it there for a few days.

Gary
Quality Water Associates

Replies to this post
There are none.